OSOGBO — Panic broke out in Osogbo, Osun State, on Wednesday after suspected hoodlums reportedly opened fire on the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.
The incident reportedly triggered an exchange of gunfire lasting between 12 and 15 minutes as security operatives attached to the governor’s convoy engaged the assailants and secured his safe passage.
The incident occurred at about 3:15pm, shortly after Adeleke visited the monarch following his receipt of the Certificate of Return for a second term from the Independent National Electoral Commission office in Osogbo.
Sources said the governor met with the Ataoja, presented his certificate and received the monarch’s royal blessings before leaving the palace.
However, singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido and the governor’s nephew, dismissed reports that the governor’s convoy was attacked, describing the incident as a fight outside the palace that had no connection with the governor or his entourage.
In a post on X, Davido wrote: “Lies! It was a fight outside the palace that had nothing to do with us! The people love excellency.”
The conflicting accounts have left details of the incident unclear.
According to eyewitnesses, trouble started as Adeleke and his entourage left the palace through a private exit reportedly used by the monarch and members of his family.
The witnesses alleged that armed men arrived in a Sienna bus through the Ita Olokan area and opened fire around the palace.
One eyewitness claimed the assailants damaged and shot at the palace’s main gate before security operatives moved in to repel them.
Another eyewitness said the exchange of gunfire lasted between 12 and 15 minutes before the governor’s security team secured the area and cleared a route for the convoy to leave.
The attackers reportedly engaged the convoy again around the Osogbo Central Mosque before fleeing towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
The incident reportedly caused panic across parts of the city, with traders and residents abandoning their businesses and seeking shelter.
Sporadic gunshots were also reportedly heard in some parts of Osogbo later in the afternoon, prompting some businesses to shut temporarily.
The Osun State Government confirmed that an incident occurred but said the governor and members of his entourage were safe.
The Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, described the attackers as hoodlums and said security personnel attached to the governor repelled them.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at the Ataoja’s palace but no casualties were recorded,” Alimi said.
As of the time of filing this report, there was no official statement from the police detailing the circumstances surrounding the shooting or confirming whether any suspects had been arrested.
—————————————————————————————————————————————
Your help to our media platform will support the delivery of the independent journalism and broadcast the world needs. Support us by making any contribution. Your donation and support allows us to be completely focus, deeply investigative and independent. It also affords us the opportunity to produce more programmes online which is a platform universally utilised.
Thank you.
Please click link to make – DONATION










