Nigeria military authority has released to the public casualty figures of the last week attacked on military location in Borno State by the extremist group believed to be Boko Haram.
According to a statement made public in Abuja, about 70 persons lost their lives in the clash that occurred when dreaded sect, Boko Haram, stormed the Nigerian Army Barracks in Bama, Borno State.
The spokesman of the Defence Headquarters, Major General Chris Olukolade, said that 50 members of the Boko Haram sect, 15 soldiers and five civilians lay dead when the smoke from the encounter died down.
Olukolade said 20 vehicles belonging to the insurgents were also destroyed during the attack on the Mohammed Kur Barracks in Bama and the pursuit of the fleeing Boko Haram members that carried out the operation.
He equally said that those affected by the attack have been relocated to other military formations in the state.
The statement by Olukolade reads in full: “The military operations to track insurgents who carried out the last Friday pre-dawn attacks on Mohammed Kur Barracks, Bama, has led to the destruction of over 20 vehicles conveying escaping terrorists. The vehicles were the ones used during the attack on the barracks and were sited through air surveillance as the terrorists were making efforts to cross the borders back to their haven in Cameroun.
“Although a good number of the insurgents escaped with bullet wounds while some have been arrested, over 50 of them died in the course of exchange of fire with ground troops in the ongoing operations to apprehend fleeing terrorists. The military has lost 15 soldiers mostly from the attack while some died during the pursuit. A total of 5 civilians also died during the attack. Intensive cordon and search operations is still ongoing to fish out the insurgents who might be lurking around communities in the area.
“Meanwhile, families affected by the attacks have been relocated to other military locations.”