Stakeholders Security Summit: We Salute The Southwest Governors and DAWN Commission.
We Commend all the six Southwest States Governors, particularly the host Governor of Oyo State His Excellency, Engr. Rotimi Makinde, The Chairman Southwest Governors Forum and Governor of Ondo State, His Excellency, Arakunrin Rotimi Akeredolu, SAN, Chairman Nigeria Governors Forum and Executive Governor of Ekiti State, Dr Kayode Fayemi, CON, with the greatest support of the Development Agenda For Western Nigeria (DAWN) Commission for hosting the Stakeholders Security Summit- Focus on Western Nigeria, slated for Tuesday 25th, June, 2019 at Ogunlesi Hall, Opp. UCH, Ibadan starting by 9.00a.m, this to us is timely and apt, showing the Governor’s zeal and responsiveness, alongside our profound respects and appreciation to critical stakeholders and leading Royal fathers in Yoruba Land like: His Imperial Majesty, Oba Adeyeye Babatunde Enitan Ogunwusi, The Ooni of Ife, His Imperial Majesty, Oba Dr. Olayiwola Lamidi Adeyemi 111, The Alaafin of Oyo, Imperial Majesty, Oba Adewale Akanbi, The Oluwo of Iwo, His Majesty, Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji, The Olubadan of Ibadan Land, along side eminent elders: Professor Banji Akintoye, Aare Gani Adams,The Aare Onakankafo of Yoruba Land, Mr Yinka Odumakin, Pa Fasanmi, Pa Fasoranti, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, Chief Olu Falaye, Dr. Mrs Tokunbo Awolowo-Dosunmu, Otunba Deji Oshinbogun, Chief Femi Goke to mention a few, and the driving force behind the wheel; being the southwest integrating agency: The DAWN Commssion’s great concern to the yearnings of the people of the South West Geo-Political Zone of Nigeria and by extension nationally.
More so, particularly we specially appreciate these positive move predicated on our Council’s earlier indefatigable clarion calls for the convening of a Southwest Stakeholders Economic Development, Peace and Security tagged: Fo Ilu Mo (Operation Sweep Clean Our Land), initially slated for 27th June, 2019 at Mapo Hall, ibadan targeted at urgently addressing the prevailing national and regional issues of mutual interests; bordering on unmitigated wide spread killings, kidnappings, ritualism and armed banditry across the southwest region recently, a move aimed at joint dialogue and aggressively consolidating on our fundamental demands for the total overhaul, redesigning and remodelling of our security architecture in curtailing the inherent excesses of the present situations, and meeting up with the aspirations of the good people of Nigeria on the various hydraheaded ailments(Lack of good governance and rule of law, growing spate of poverty, devolution of powers, resource control rights and privileges, unwarranted political instabilities and acrimonious horse-trading and deceits, and infrastructural deficits to mention a few) bedevilling the Nigerian nation with immediate panacea viz: provision of adequate security, peace, continuous national orientation and implementation of a well institutionalized national policy plan of action, economic development and mass welfare of Yoruba Land and the Nigerian state.
As critical stakeholders in Western Nigeria, and being the apex and largest umbrella body of youths in the Southwest Geo Political Zones of Nigeria and In Diaspora, we sieze this medium to inform all intending participants to this epoch town hall constructive engagement meeting to remain focus on issues outlined on insecurity, economic integration and development, and ensuring peaceful cohabitation with our neighbours within and the entire region, without a drop a blood or war.
We however wish reiterate our absolute condemnation of the prevailing terrorism atrocities, mass murder and genocidal war unleashed on innocent Nigerians in various communities across the nation, especially the recent wake of crises, killings, kidnapping and community invasion by the armed bandits, under the aegis of marauding Herdsmen, ISIS, ISWA and Boko Haram terrorist groups in the Zone, hence our order and demand for the total vacation of this terrorists in Yoruba Land forthwith.
Wherein we are using this medium to further implore the DAWN Commission to align and aggregate all issues of utmost concerns, as a means of urgently nipping in the bod and proffering immediate panacea to the hydra headed monsters called Boko Haram/Armed Bandits in our various identified death points: intra-city and interstate highways, as well as addressing and setting the tone for a robust implementation, and dialogue on other needful necessities: application of rule of law, economic integration and joint development, infrastructures, agriculture-revolution and food security, youth and women empowerments, peace and security to mention a few.
In due consideration of our common interests and goals of ensuring an egalitarian society that thrives on absolute welfarism, rule of law, peace and development of southwestern Nigeria.
Based on this premise, we are using this medium to submit as part of the meeting’s resolution Our Charter of Demands.
1. We demand the immediate enactment of a new people’s National and Regional Constitution(s) respectively.
2. We demand the immediate Establishment of the Southwest Regional Development Commissions, to exclusively control and manage all mineral resources within our zone.
The Commission shall exclusively conduct monitoring /management of funds generated within the zones, with a caveat to remit accruable taxable income to the Federal government . Just like Dubai, Shangai etc.
3. We Demand the Establishment by Southwest Governors Forum (SWGF) permanent secretariat and annex secretariat buildings in each states, in conjunction with the DAWN Commission to consolidate on our proposed initiative of the South West Joint Regional Security Networks(JRSN), wherein all our local vigilante and security organizations in the zone can be inculcated into the network to work with the established Government’s security institutions on intelligence, information sharing and utmost delivery of an all-inclusive security.
4. We demand Immediate Establishment of Southwest- Educational Right Law, wherein 30% allocation shall be to the education sector out of the total yearly budget appropriated(inclusive of supplementary budget) for in each state.
5. We demand the Establishment of Southwest Trade and Commerce Development Council, inorder to foster our socio-economic integration and development programmes.
6. We demand the implementation of a new Electoral Laws with a new caveat for INEC to conduct all Local Government Elections and ensure Diaspora voting simultaneously via E-Voting at the 2023 National Election.
7. We demand the establishment of the Southwest Economic Integration and Development Summit Group by Governors and passed by the State Houses of Assembly of the Southwest region, this shall be a constant and regular meeting points of professionals, investors and captains of industries for onward foreign and locally direct investment programs.
8. The Establishment of the Southwest Peace Commission by Governors and passed by the State Houses of Assembly of the region.
9. The Establishment of Southwest Obas and Chief Commission by Governors and passed by the State Houses of Assembly of the region.
10. The Establishment of Southwest Sports Council by Governors and passed by the State Houses of Assembly of the region.
11. The conduct of A National/Regional/State/Local Government Census by 2020, while the Governors of the Southwest States conduct a Special iIdentification Data Program for thier respective States indigenes.
(12) Establishment of the Southwest Youth Development Affairs Commssion, aimed at mitigating and ameliorating the growing spate of unemployment and youth restiveness,
And any resolutions ancillary to the aforementioned demands.
In view of the aforementioned, we hope for a successful deliberation and positive outcome.
Long Live Federal Republic of Nigeria
Long Live The Southwest Zone
Long Live DAWN Commission
Aremo Oladotun Hassan, Esq
President, Yoruba Council of Youths Worldwide(YCYW).