Re: Official complaint in respect of the tragic death of Mr Gabriel Diya and his two children
My name is Dayo Olomu and I am a British born Nigerian community leader based in London.
I am shocked to learn that the pool in which Mr Gabriel Giya and his two children died on Christmas Eve was re-opened so soon – less than 48 hours after the tragic incident.
I must say that your action is grossly insensitive and shows no regard whatsoever for the deceased and their family members.
Clearly a thorough investigation is required given the newspaper reports that:
• The tragedy unfolded when a 9-year-old girl began having difficulties in the pool.
• The girl’s swimming cap was found in the pump.
• When her father jumped in to rescue her, he then became trapped, too.
• Another family member, a 16-year-old, then entered the water to help, but all three died, said Jorge Martín, a spokesman for the Civil Guard of Malaga Province, where the accident happened.
• Accidents linked to faulty drainage or pumping systems in pools have happened before. In 2002, a 7-year-old girl from McLean, Va., drowned in a spa when she became entrapped by the powerful drag of a portal sucking water into a filtration system, and a man and three children died at a water park in Texas in 2004.